Saturday, March 19, 2011

oh sun how i love thee

There is nothing more pleasant than to come home in the afternoon sun. It was cold but I enjoyed the warmth against my skin. I'm sad that my apartment does not face west as I love the setting sun. I can't complain because it face north e. we got new seating and the good news: i'll be sitting infront of c who is a friend of mine. the sad news is that my neighbour a is moving 2 seats away and i won't be able to chit chat with him in french that often. he's a cool guy to converse with and in many ways makes me think of jf, former co-worker of mine. when it's time to do some convos w/ serious contents like sharing ideas etc i always find guys to be better conversational partners.i don't say women are not, i guess i find it easier to speak to guys about ideas since i'm not into talking about kids, fashion etc

I discovered this blog today: drawing with a squirrel . It's inspiring. I love her use of watercolours and her calligraphy makes me want to use my pens again. I have not done some serious art in 7 months and I should use the longer summer days and my kick ass schedule to do more art.I'm so looking towards summer especially for delicious summer food like salad on full grain bread, yummy cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar etc, smoked and broiled salmon and maybe bbq. No more easy junk food.

I'm in the mood for making sushi. I'll drop by the asian supermarket tomorrow and have a look. Need to give it a try next Wednesday when I am off work. finally I opened "les plus beaux manuscrits de Arthur Rimbaud" and it made me miss the times when men were using nibs and quills. With the ever increasing use of the computer, it seems that fine penmanship is getting lot and I don't mean calligraphy only. I could count on my fingers the number of people who've beautiful legible handwriting (I understand it's not the handwriting which makes the person but I'm surprised when I see 30+ years old people having kids handwriting) and this article is rather interesting. Usually french people have nice cursive handwritings while american do more print or kid letters-not to offend anyone.

With the use of computers and the need to be more efficient, people print than write and I did not know that they taught cursive hand writing in school! My teacher never did. We were taught the letter shapes but not the loops etc. I started writing in cursive because I love the look of beautiful hand writing then taught myself calligraphy. Although these days I don't do calligraphy often. There's something soothing in writing "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" (if my memory is correct this sentence has all the letters of the alphabets) over and over again in italian cursive scripts or to try it in gothic letters. That's my best past time when I've nothing better to do at work or I am stressed. Working with my right brain makes me a happy cherbear. I remembered when I was a trainee at the MCB, I filled pages of calligraphy during my spare time and then threw them away. The beauty of writing with fountain pens (spending 100 bucks plus for a pen is another story), old manuscripts in latin, german etc.. have some beauty than even computer generated fonts cannot compare.


All these beautiful texts makes me want to have a running chinese calligraphy script tattoo on my side w/ my name stamp..hmm something to think over

No comments:

Post a Comment